Staying on top of your oral health and preventing plaque buildup on teeth is the best way to prevent tartar. To help prevent tartar, be sure to brush your teeth, floss and use mouthwash at least twice daily, preferably with a tartar-control fluoride toothpaste and floss once a day. It is also very important to visit your dental office at least every six-months for oral exams and cleanings.
Here are a few important steps to help prevent dental plaque and tartar:
- Choose an anti-plaque fluoride toothpaste to use every morning and night to help strengthen your tooth enamel (outer layer). This will help with decay and sensitivity.
- Floss daily to remove food particles and plaque between teeth. It is important to floss at least once a day to prevent buildup.
- Use mouthwash at least once a day after brushing your teeth
- Consider investing in an electric toothbrush, and remember to replace the head every 3 months.
- Visit your dentist every 6 months. Adults who see their dentists regularly are less likely to have plaque related dental diseases.
- Avoid smoking to reduce the risk of increased plaque and tartar.
- Cut down on any sugar drinks and foods to help protect your teeth from decay and plaque buildup.
NEGLECT IS EXPENSIVE
Give our office a call today to schedule your six-month check-up, cleaning, and exam. (972) 853-2100